Call for Orchestral Scores! - Works Inspired by Shakespeare
The Allentown Symphony Association (PA) announces its "Shakespeare Inspired Works" call for orchestral scores. Applicants are invited to submit a composition between 4-8 minutes in length inspired by any work of William Shakespeare.
One winning submission will be performed by the Allentown Symphony Orchestra during its performance at the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival on June 24th 2019
The competition is open to self-published composers 18 and over that are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or enrolled student with a valid and current U.S. student visa.
A separate category will be available for consideration if your work has been already published, but priority will be given to the former.
December 1st 2018
Performance of your work by the Allentown Symphony Orchestra at the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival June 24th 2019; lodging in Allentown to attend the performance, and up to 4 free tickets to the festival concert
Creativity, imagination, and originality depicting a work of Shakespeare through music
Selection and use of orchestral instruments; effectiveness in writing for the orchestra
Clarity of notation
COMPETITION RULES & REGULATIONS
3 flutes/pic, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons
4 french horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones (2 tenor, 1 bass), 1 tuba
Timpani, up to 2 percussionists (standard instruments)
Strings (max—8 , 7, 6, 5, 3)
Note: You can write for smaller instrumentation, but not any larger
2. Only one submission per applicant. If a musical work submitted as part of the Submission is co-written, all co-writers shall be considered Entrants and must satisfy these eligibility criteria, together with all other requirements set forth in the rules.
3. All submissions should belong to a self-published author.
3. All submitted scores and parts must adhere to MOLA guidelines.
4. Submissions should be submitted as PDFs. Originals should done in either Sibelius or Finale and if chosen as a winner, applicants must be able to provide a professional level score and set of parts for their composition.
5. Each application must include a Midi sound file.
6. Winning applicants should be available to attend the ASO Concerts on June 24th 2019 if possible. Travel is the responsibility of the contestant.
7. Winning Composers will release the rights and provide a full set of performance score and parts at no additional fee* for 1 performance of their composition by the Allentown Symphony as well as for any television or radio broadcast or rebroadcast of the performance. The performance will qualify for ASCAP and BMI royalties.
*composers whose works are professionally published and a rental fee is involved will be considered in a different category and may or may not be selected depending on the quality of the composition and the amount of the rental fee.
8. Submitted materials will not be returned.
9. Compositions must not exceed 8 minutes in length. Single movements of larger works based upons Shakespeare are acceptable.
10. Entrants agree that, except where prohibited by law, if selected, their names, photos, biographies and/or likenesses, performances, statements, and Submissions including, without limitation, any photos or video of any appearance or performance may be displayed, reproduced, distributed, publicized, broadcast or transmitted over any medium by the ASO any associated company or organization for reporting and promotional purposes in perpetuity in connection with the performance, without any additional compensation, consideration, permission, or notification.
11. The Allentown Symphony reserves the right to make an archival audio and video recording of the performances (and associated events) and copies of the recordings, as needed, as well as the right to arrange for possible re-broadcasts of the concert on local public radio/TV stations. No additional fees will be paid for this broadcast. The Artist may reserve the right to approve his performance prior to any broadcast. A final copy of the concert will be provided for the Artists’ archives upon request. Archival house photographs will also be taken during all concerts and associated events.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT ALL MATERIALS ONLINE, OR SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO OR AUDIO RECORDING WITH SCORE AND NOTE YOUR ENTRY LEVEL DIVISION TO:
Allentown Symphony Association
Call for Orchestral Scores -Shakespeare
Attn: Education Director
23 North Sixth Street
Allentown, PA 18101-1431