Arts at St. John’s-Allentown Symphony Chorus
Friday, April 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
GREAT MUSIC IN A GREAT PLACE!
St. John's Lutheran Church, 37 South 5th Street in Allentown.
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Allentown was founded in 1855 as the first English-speaking Lutheran church in the predominantly immigrant German city. This forward-looking spirit has marked the history of the congregation. The current eighty-foot high cathedral was constructed amid the Great Depression in the 1930s following an unanimous decision by the congregation “to perpetuate its mission in the present location, believing that the voice of the Gospel is needed in the heart of every great city.” The architecture and the entire undertaking blended the religious and the aesthetic with the conviction that beauty inspires meaningful worship, The stained-glass windows, for example, are the creation of Nichola D’Ascenzo (1871-1954) whose work is also displayed at the National Cathedral in Washington DC and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NYC. Matching the visual splendor of the church has been its long tradition of excellent music. The 5000-pipe Ernest M. Skinner organ with 4 manuals and more than 80 ranks of pipes is one of the most outstanding instruments in the region.
The Arts at St. John’s, now in its 27th year, is pleased to collaborate for our April series with the Allentown Symphony, Diane Wittry, Musical Director and Conductor.
This evening's event features the ALLENTOWN SYMPHONY CHORUS, Eduardo Azzati, Chorus Master, along with Allentown Symphony Orchestra Brass, Percussion & Organ.
KARG-ELERT (arr. Day)
Now Thank We all our God
VAUGHAN-WILLIAMS (arr. Wood)
Let All the World in Ev’ry Corner Sing
FRANCK (arr. Hopson)
Praise Ye the Lord (Psalm 150)
HANDEL (arr. Hopson)
Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah
Free Will Offering
Financial Support for this series has been provided by THE RIDER-POOL FOUNDATION