Calling All Composers! The Allentown Symphony Orchestra Announces 2017 Pictures at an Exhibition Composer
The Allentown Symphony, in collaboration with the Allentown Art Museum in Allentown PA announces its "Pictures at an Exhibition" composer competition. Applicants are invited to submit a compositions between 1-3 minutes in length based upon a painting or work of art from the permanent collection at the Allentown Art Museum (31 North 5th St, Allentown PA 18101).
Six to eight winning submissions will be combined together by composer Larry Lipkis (Moravian College) with newly composed Promenade music and premiered by the Allentown Symphony Orchestra during the March 10 & 11, 2018 classical concerts.
ELIGIBILITY: To apply, you must reside as either a permanent resident or student in Pennsylvania, New Jersey or the Greater New York City Area (Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, Westchester, Rockland County, & Long Island). The competition is open to composers of all ages.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: October 20, 2017 (NEW DEADLINE)
APPLICATION FEE: $30
FIRST PRIZE: Performance of your work by the Allentown Symphony Orchestra at the March 10 & 11 2018 Classical Concerts; up to 4 free tickets to the March performances to see your piece performed
SUBMISSION CATEGORIES FOR JUDGING:
- High School
- College (up to age 22)
- Adult (age 23 and above)
- Creativity, imagination, and originality depicting a work of art through music
- Selection and use of orchestral instruments; effectiveness in writing for the orchestra
- Clarity of notation
COMPETITION RULES & REGULATIONS
3 flutes (option for piccolo), 3 oboes (option for english horn), 3 clarinets (option for bass clarinet), 2 bassoons
4 french horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones (2 tenor, 1 bass), 1 tuba
timpani, up to 3 percussionists (standard instruments)
Strings (max—12, 10, 8, 8, 6)
Note: You can write for smaller instrumentation, but not any larger
2. Only one submission per applicant.
3. All submitted scores and parts must adhere to MOLA guidelines.
4. Submissions should be submitted as PDFs. Originals should done in either Sibelius or Finale and if chosen as a winner, applicants must be able to provide a professional level score and set of parts for their composition.
5. Each application must include a Midi sound file.
6. Winning applicants should be available to attend the ASO Concerts on March 10 2018 at 7:30pm & March 11 2018 at 3pm as well as a pre-concert reception on Saturday, March 10, 2018 (time tbd). Travel and lodging is the responsibility of the contestant.
7. Do not include your name on any of the submitted materials, please select a pseudonym to use
8. Applications should include the full title of the piece and the artist's name. Art work must be from the permanent collection at the Allentown Art Museum, 31 North 5th St., Allentown PA 18101; http://www.AllentownArtMuseum.org.
9. Composers will release the rights for 2 performances of their composition by the Allentown Symphony Orchestra and for a MIDI version of their piece to be available for listening at the Allentown Art Museum, as well as for any television or radio broadcast or rebroadcast of the ASO March 10 & 11 concerts.
11. Submitted materials will not be returned.
12. Compositions must not exceed 3 minutes in length.